Some upcoming events in and around Newton County include:
Thursday October 13
• Live at Lunch Concert on the Square with Payne & Trouble (country), noon, Covington Square Park. For more information, visit newtoncountyarts.org.
Saturday October 15
• 10th Anniversary Fall Festival, 2-6 pm, Legion Field, 3173 Mill St NE. Organized by United Fellowship Outreach, the event will include a Cook Off contest, Trunk or Treat, cake walk, musical entertainment and more. For more information, call 678-485-7540, 770-315-8949, or 770-670-3696.
• Covington Farmers Market & More, 9 a.m. to noon, Covington Welcome Center, 1143 Oak St. SE, Covington. This is the last Covington Farmers’ Market scheduled for the 2022 season. For more information, visit cityofcovington.org.
• Free pet vaccination and microchipping clinic for residents of Newton County on Saturday, October 15 from 9 a.m. to noon at Turner Lake Park at 6185 Turner Lake Road in Covington. The free clinic will be at the Kiwanis Club of Covington Pavilion in the park and is open to the first 200 dogs or cats with a limit of three pets per household. All dogs must be kept on a leash and cats in a transport cage. Pet owners showing proof of residency can receive rabies vaccine, distemper/parvovirus vaccination, FVRCP vaccine for cats, microchip, flea treatment and neutering voucher for their pets.
For more information, visit nbcoc.com and follow Newton County Government on social media.
Monday, October 17
• Advance voting begins Monday, October 17 and ends November 4 at the Turner Lake Center, 6183 Turner Lake Road, Covington; and Prospect Church at Oak Hill, 6752 Route 212, Covington. Saturday voting can be done October 22 and 29, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Turner Lake Center only. Sunday voting will be available Oct. 30, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Turner Lake Center only. For more information, call 770-784-2055 or visit www.co.newton.ga.us/167/Board-of-Elections-Registration.
Thursday, October 20
• Live at Lunch Concert on the Square with Gate City Brass band, noon, Covington Square park. For more information, visit newtoncountyarts.org.
Saturday October 22
• The “Get Out of the Vote” rally featuring Democratic candidates for local and statewide office is scheduled for October 22, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., at Asbury Street Park at 104 W. Watson St. at Oxford. Candidates scheduled to appear include District 10 Congressional candidate Tabitha Johnson-Green, State Agriculture Commissioner candidate Nakita Hemingway, District 17 State Senate candidate Kacy Morgan, candidates for JC Henderson and Demond Mason County Commission, and more. For more information, visit newtongeorgiadems.org.
• The sale of books and collectables is scheduled for Saturday, October 22, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the rear of the old Cousins school building on Geiger Street. Organized by the Newton County Historical Society. In case of bad weather, the sale will be moved inside the building.
• Join the 5K Breast Cancer Cure Walk, 8:45 am, organized by Pleasant View Baptist Church at Legion Field, 3173 Mill St, Covington. There is no entry fee, but donations will be taken for a local breast cancer charity. For more information, call 678-818-5792.
Tuesday, October 25
• The Kappa Koffeehouse policy forum featuring candidates in the Nov. 8 general election and other elected officials is scheduled for Oct. 25 at 6:30 p.m. at the JP Carr Community Center in Conyers. US Representative Hank Johnson, D-Stonecrest and Republican challenger Jonathan Chavez will be among the attendees. Hosted by the Conyers-Covington Alumni Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.
For more information, email [email protected]
Thursday, October 27
• Live at Lunch Concert on the Square with Garrett Kephart & Sydnie Tanner (folk), noon, Covington Square park. For more information, visit newtoncountyarts.org.
Saturday October 29
• Fall Fun Fest for kids, 5-7 p.m., Oxford Green, 915 Emory St., Oxford. Trunk or Treat, snacks, games, face painting and more will be offered. Organized by local churches, Oxford Police Service and community groups.
• Walk a Mile in His Shoes, 12-1 pm, Covington Square. Hosted by the Newton County Domestic Violence Task Force. Donations of toiletries, bug spray, pillows and more to help victims and their families. For more information, call 678-625-1225.
Monday October 31
• Trick or Treat on the Trail, 5-7 p.m., Legion Field, 3173 Mill St NE. For more information, visit cityofcovington.org.
Saturday November 5
• Fall Festival hosted by Newton County Parks and Recreation, 10 am to 4 pm, City Pond Park, 13501 City Pond Road. Live shows, vendors, train rides and more offered. Vendors are always accepted. For more information, visit newtonrecreation.com or call 770-786-4373.
• Masquerade ball, fundraiser, 7 p.m., Social Circle Theatre, 650 Ashley Drive. Trophies for the best outfit and the greatest sponsorship. Live entertainment, refreshments, photo ops, door prizes, silent auction among the activities.
For more information, call 770-385-3323.
Tuesday, November 8
• Election Day in 22 electoral districts in Newton County. To find your polling place, visit https://www.mvp.sos.ga.gov/MVP/mvp.do. For more information, call 770-784-2055 or visit www.co.newton.ga.us/167/Board-of-Elections-Registration.
Saturday November 12
• Wheels to the Shelter Parade benefiting the Covington Homeless Shelter, 12-3 pm, starting at the Potters House Church parking lot at 1120 Crowell Road and ending at 7133 Turner Lake Circle. The cost is $20 per passenger for any vehicle. For more information, call 770-787-8519.